Lotus Protector and the endless search


I have been helping a client with a new Lotus Protector setup and I ran into a new problem for the first time myself and as I can’t find anything on the web or in the documentation this is a prime candidate for a blog entry:

By default Lotus protector is accessible by two ports: https on port 443 for the admin interface and over https on port 4443 for the client access (e.g. the Notes client displaying your spam queue). I had never felt it necessary to change this before but my current client wanted it the other way around as they felt it would be easier on clients to not have to have them add a [:4443] port to the end of the url to look at their spam queue in a browser. Sensible – I totally agree. Not a difficult thing if you follow this Forum entry on how to do it.

Unfortunately there is not really good technote on how to do this and make sure you cross all your T’s and dot your I’s. What we found out is that you can change the ports (easy peasy) but now when we looked at the spam queues for users they never updated and we just got an endless search loop. Otherwise the system was functional and there were no errors in logs or anything.

One of my colleagues opened a PMR and this is what we got back:

Indeed the problem occurs because the customer changed the ports
between admin user interface (default = 443) and end user interface
(default = 4443). In order to make sure that browsing the message store
does properly work although the ports are changed the following needs
to be done:

Edit
/var/www-enduser/proventia_html/pvm_msgstore_backend/search_handler.inc
and set the proper ports:

Well, now we know how to do it for the future. Hopefully this helps somebody else out there as well. I really like the Protector device, especially the integration with the Notes client which is really great. I like giving end users the power to look and decide themselves WITHOUT having to open another interface outside of their mail client. Here is a link to a presentation I did a while back on the Consultantinyourpocket.com site. It is for an older version  of Protector but the basics are still the same.

 

TDI 7.1 training in the UK – Maidenhead


I just came across this online and thought I would share.

There is not allot of TDI training to be found in the wild unless you request it specifically (at least here in the US) unless you are looking for free on-line tutorials etc. (e.g.: Consultantinyourpocket.com webcasts etc.) Reading the ad this training looks rather detailed and I know one of the the “blokes” who is involved in running the course. I assume it will pretty good from a content standpoint but I don’t know any more details about the facilities.

I can’t tell is £1200 is fair, reasonable, acceptable or outright theft (I have no concept of European or even just UK prices) but go check out the webpage and take a look.

Tivoli Directory Integrator v7 Workshop training course: Skills 1st Ltd

Tivoli Directory Integrator v7 Workshop

Learn to build and debug directory synchronisation solutions using TDI.

Learn how to use TDI as an adaptor between different protocols.

TDI is a very flexible toolkit for moving data from one system to another, cleaning and re-formatting it on the way. You can build directory synchronisation systems, format converters, and even put LDAP or SNMP interfaces onto existing relational databases. The latest version of TDI uses the Eclipse development environment, and it runs on almost every operating-system on the market.

This 3-day workshop-based training course will take you rapidly through the steep part of the learning curve so that you can build useful solutions straight away. The exercises use TDI 7.1. The differences from TDI 7.0 and earlier versions will also be discussed where appropriate.

Lotus Protector – So I was not imagining it after all …. the disappearing toolbar


IBM LO55400: LOTUS PROTECTOR TOOLBAR ICON SOMETIMES MISSING IN LOCAL REPLICA – United States

Just came across this one – finally proof that I was not imagining things.

While doing some testing for the Lotus Protector presentation I gave last month for Chris Miller’sConsultant in your Pocket webcast series I had noticed some inconsistencies in the Lotus Protector tool bar appearing and not appearing. I wrote it off to the thrown together, garbage test environment I set up (remote access, VPN, VMWare clients with fixed IPs, etc.) so I was not concerned and did not investigate further when it re-appeared after restarting the client and the Lotus Protector box .. I conveniently swept that one out of y concious train of thought and prayed that it would not happen during the presentation.

This tech-note sets me fee and now I can feel *a bit* more innocent again … I have found someone else to blame, my image as No-Stick-Teflon-Vic is re-established and untarnished.